The Town of Grant was officially organized on October 20, 1858, as a Congressional Township containing the normal six-mile by six-mile area with the first three supervisors and a clerk. It remained a township until November of 1996 when it became a city. The original area of The Town of Grant contained the current region plus the area up to the eastern border of the City of White Bear Lake.
In the summer of 1996, The Town of Grant successfully applied to be incorporated into a city. The Minnesota Municipal Council approved its application in early September 1996. The purpose of this change was primarily to protect the rural nature of Grant. The Town Board dissolved after its last meeting in October and a City Council with four Council Members and a Mayor took office after the November 1996 election.
The first school in Grant opened in 1856 and was followed by others as settlers arrived. These schools met in one-room buildings each operated by a separate school district and school board. The current City Hall is one of these school buildings. A couple of them are now homes. Many residents remember the red one-room school that stood at the corner of Highway 96 and Jamaca and burned down many years ago. These school districts eventually consolidated into the Mahtomedi and Stillwater school districts. The Mahtomedi High and Middle Schools are located in Grant.
Only a few commercial farms now remain in Grant, but many small hobby farms, mostly for raising, training, and boarding horses replace them. Grant has experienced only small amounts of commercial development. There are two commercial zones in Grant. The first commercial zone contains a farm supply store located at the corner of Highway 36 and Keats Avenue. The other commercial zone is at the corner of Highways 17 and 36 where several small businesses operate. Several agricultural-related businesses, two commercial apple orchards, a large nursery, and family farms sell to the public. There are also 2 highly acclaimed golf courses within the Town of Grant.
The data relating to real estate for sale on this web site comes in part from the Broker Reciprocity Program of the Regional Multiple Listing Service of Minnesota. Real estate listings held by brokerage firms other than Northstar are marked with the Broker Reciprocity logo and detailed information about them includes the name of the listing brokers. Information Deemed Reliable But Not Guaranteed. All properties are subject to prior sale, change or withdrawal. Neither listing broker(s) nor the site owner shall be responsible for any typographical errors, misinformation, misprints and shall be held totally harmless. ©2020 Regional Multiple Listing Service of Minnesota. All rights reserved. By conducting a property search on this site, user agrees to EULA found on: http://www.northstarmls.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/EULA.pdf
Updated: 27th October, 2020 7:36 PM (UTC).