Originally named Red Rock, after a sacred stone supposedly painted by the famous Dakota Chief Little Crow, the town was renamed in 1859 when the state legislature discovered another Red Rock Township in Minnesota. Woodbury was named after Judge Levi Woodbury of New Hampshire, a friend of the first town board chairman.
The first settlers came to Woodbury in 1844. Most of the area's early settlers migrated from the eastern states and from Germany. Immigrants also came from Ireland, Sweden, Switzerland, Scotland and Denmark. Over the years the people of Woodbury have contributed in many ways to the rich heritage that the city enjoys today.
In 1844 the town was largely covered with timber. Clearing the land for farming required considerable time and labor. Wheat was the principal crop grown, as well as barley, corn, and potatoes; and later soybeans became a crop of major importance. Generally the land was rolling and very fertile, which was particularly conducive to dairy farming.
The 1950s introduced a new phase in agriculture. Farming technology resulted in controlled acreage, more fertilization, improved crop rotation and chemicals for pest control, making agriculture an even greater contributor to the local economy. In 1955 the first housing development, Woodbury Heights, was started. The 1960s brought another outlook for the farmer. Urban development spread out into the community and began to replace the farm land.
Even before the area was organized as a township, the first school opened its doors in 1855 in a small house owned by William Middleton. Between 1852 and 1868 seven schools were organized in Woodbury. Excellent teaching took place in these little, one-room schools, which had an average of 35 pupils representing all eight grades. After elementary school, some pupils continued their education at the St. Paul College.
In the 1950s, Woodbury rural schools were gradually phased out as state law mandated consolidation of rural districts. Most of the Woodbury schools joined the newly formed South Washington County School District 833. Portions of the city are served by the North St. Paul-Maplewood-Oakdale District 622 and by the Stillwater School District 834. With consolidation, Woodbury had its first real high school.
As Woodbury has grown from the status of township and village to the present-day city, many new schools and educational facilities have been added. The schools, which the pioneers worked so hard to promote, laid the foundation for the excellent schools in Woodbury today.
The data relating to real estate for sale on this web site comes in part from the Broker Reciprocity Program of the Regional Multiple Listing Service of Minnesota. Real estate listings held by brokerage firms other than Northstar are marked with the Broker Reciprocity logo and detailed information about them includes the name of the listing brokers. Information Deemed Reliable But Not Guaranteed. All properties are subject to prior sale, change or withdrawal. Neither listing broker(s) nor the site owner shall be responsible for any typographical errors, misinformation, misprints and shall be held totally harmless. ©2020 Regional Multiple Listing Service of Minnesota. All rights reserved. By conducting a property search on this site, user agrees to EULA found on: http://www.northstarmls.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/EULA.pdf
Updated: 20th October, 2020 4:51 AM (UTC).